Sleep and depression
Sep. 19, 2021
IRCCS Istituto delle Scienze Neurologiche di Bologna
University of Bologna
Editorial Board Member since 2016: Sleep Disorders
Research Interests: Epilepsy, in particular Sleep-related hypermotor epilepsy; sleep medicine, in particular movement disorders during sleep (propriospinal myoclonus, restless legs syndrome, sleep-related eating disorders)
Dr. Federica Provini born in Bologna Italy on 14th January 1964.
1989 - Graduated in Medicine and Surgery at the University of Bologna
1993 - Post- graduate specialization in Neurology, University of Bologna
University of Bologna – Associate Professor of Neurology.
Major scientific achievements
Provini’s main research activities focus on sleep medicine, including the characterization of movement disorders during sleep and the description of sleep features in neurological diseases (in particular neurodegenerative diseases). Using an integrated approach combining clinical observation and video-polysomnographic recording of electroencephalographic, motor and autonomic parameters during wake and sleep, she collected original data in different pathological conditions, such as Sleep-related hypermotor epilepsy (SHE), REM and NREM Parasomnias, Restless Legs Syndrome, Fatal Familial Insomnia, Morvan Syndrome and Delirium Tremens.
Research Production and Impact
Provini’s research activity has led to more than 250 scientific papers of which 214 have been published in international peer-reviewed journals and to 50 chapters on sleep disorders and epilepsy published in international textbooks by leading publishing houses.
The current h-index is 43 (Scopus).
Lectures and Conferences
Provini has been an invited speaker at 130 National and International Conferences and Courses in Europe and United States.
- Invited editor of a Sleep Medicine Supplement (Sleep Med 2011;12:S2) devoted to sleep-related motor disorders.
- Guest editor of a Sleep Science and Practice thematic series devoted to Sleep and Epilepsy (2019).
- Since 2016: associate editor of Medlink Neurology
- Since 2017: academic editor of PLOS-ONE
- Since 2019: member of the editorial board of Clinical Autonomic Research
- Since 2020: member of the editorial board of Sleep Sciences and Practice
Membership and Responsibilities in National and International Medical and Scientific Societies
- Italian Society of Sleep Medicine (Secretary from 2015 to 2018)
- International Restless Legs Study Group (Vice-President)
- European Restless Legs Study Group (Board member)
- World Association of Sleep Medicine (Education Committee member)
- International Parkinson and Movement Disorders Society
- European Sleep Research Society
Dr. Provini of the University of Bologna and IRCCS Institute of Neurological Sciences of Bologna received speakers' fees from Italfarmaco and Pfizer.